Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Level 1 Spells Baldur’s Gate 3 is a role-playing game that allows players to create and customize their own characters, choosing from a variety of classes, races, backgrounds, and abilities. One of the most important aspects of character creation is selecting the right spells for each class, as they can make a huge difference in combat and exploration. In this article, we will look at the best level 1 spells for each class in Baldur’s Gate 3, based on their effectiveness, versatility, and fun factor. We will also explain how spellcasting works in Baldur’s Gate 3, and how to use your spells wisely.
How Spellcasting Works in Baldur’s Gate 3
Baldur’s Gate 3 is based on the Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition ruleset, which means that spellcasting follows a similar system. Each class has access to a different list of spells, which are divided into cantrips and leveled spells. Cantrips are simple spells that can be cast at will, without using up any resources. Leveled spells are more powerful spells that require spell slots to cast. Spell slots are limited resources that are replenished after a long rest. Each spell slot has a level, and you can use a spell slot of equal or higher level to cast a spell of your choice.
For example, if you have two level 1 spell slots and one level 2 spell slot, you can cast two level 1 spells and one level 2 spell, or three level 1 spells using the level 2 slot as well. You can also cast some spells at higher levels to increase their effects, such as by adding more damage dice or affecting more targets.
Another important concept in spellcasting is concentration. Some spells require you to maintain concentration on them to keep their effects active. This means that you can only have one concentration spell active at a time, and if you cast another concentration spell or take damage, you have to make a saving throw to avoid losing concentration. Concentration spells are usually very powerful, but they also come with a risk of being disrupted.
“Top 10” Level 1 Spells for Each Class
Wizards are arcane spellcasters who can use magic to alter reality and master various schools of magic. They also have access to different traditions that grant them additional spells and abilities based on their chosen specialization. Here are three of the best level 1 spells for wizards:
- Magic Missile: This spell creates three glowing darts of magical force that fly toward one or more creatures within range. Each dart hits automatically and deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. You can direct all the darts at one creature or several. The spell’s effects increase by one dart for each slot level above 1. This is a reliable spell for wizards who want to deal some guaranteed damage to their enemies without worrying about missing or resisting.
- Find Familiar: This spell lets you summon a spirit that takes the form of an animal of your choice, such as a cat, a raven, or a spider. The familiar acts independently of you but always obeys your commands. You can communicate with it telepathically, see through its eyes, and cast spells through it as long as it is within 100 meters of you. You can also dismiss it into a pocket dimension or bring it back as an action. This is a wonderful spell for wizards who want to have a loyal companion and scout that can assist them in various ways.
- Sleep: This spell causes a magical slumber to fall upon creatures within a 20-foot radius sphere within range. The spell affects creatures in ascending order of their current hit points, starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points. Each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends (up to one minute), the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. The spell affects up to 5d8 hit points on creatures, and this amount increases by 2d8 for each slot level above 1st. This is an amazing spell for wizards who want to incapacitate multiple enemies at once and gain an advantage in combat.
Clerics are divine spellcasters who can use magic to heal, protect, and smite their foes. They also have access to different domains that grant them additional spells and abilities based on their chosen deity. Here are three of the best level 1 spells for clerics:
- Bless: This spell blesses up to three creatures of your choice within range with divine favor. For the duration of the spell (up to one minute), whenever they make an attack roll or a saving throw, they can roll an extra d4 and add it to the result. This is a simple but effective way to enhance your party’s performance in combat.
- Healing Word: This spell lets you heal one creature within range with a word of comfort. The creature regains 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier hit points, and you can cast this spell as a bonus action. This is a lifesaver for clerics who need to heal their allies quickly and efficiently, especially if they are unconscious or far away.
- Guiding Bolt: This spell sends a bolt of radiant energy at one creature within range, dealing 4d6 radiant damage on a hit (no effect on a miss). In addition, the next attack roll made against the target before the end of your next turn has the advantage, thanks to the mystical dim light glittering on the target. This is a powerful offensive spell for clerics who want to deal some serious damage and help their allies hit harder.
Druids are nature-based spellcasters who can use magic to shape change, summon, and manipulate the elements. They also have access to different circles that grant them additional spells and abilities based on their chosen affinity. Here are three of the best level 1 spells for druids:
- Entangle: This spell causes plants to sprout from the ground in a 20-foot square within range. For the duration of the spell (up to one minute), these plants turn the area into difficult terrain and restrain any creature that starts its turn there or enters it for the first time. The creature can make a strength-saving throw to free itself. This is a fantastic way to control the battlefield and hinder your enemies’ movement and actions.
- Goodberry: This spell creates 10 berries in your hand that are infused with magic. Each berry provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day and also heals 1 hit point when eaten.
- Moonbeam: This spell conjures a silvery beam of pale light in a 5-foot radius cylinder within range. When a creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Constitution saving throw or take 2d10 radiant damage (half on a successful save). You can also move the beam up to 18 meters as an action on your turn.
Sorcerers are innate spellcasters who can use magic to manipulate reality and unleash elemental forces. They also have access to different origins that grant them additional spells and abilities based on their source of power. Here are three of the best level 1 spells for sorcerers:
Chromatic Orb: This spell creates a 3-inch-diameter orb of energy that you hurl at one creature within range. You choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, or thunder as the type of damage, and the orb deals 3d8 damage of that type on a hit (no effect on a miss).
- Mage Armor: This spell protects one willing creature within touch range with a magical force that lasts for eight hours. The target’s base armor class becomes 13 + its dexterity modifier unless it is wearing armor or using a shield. This is an essential spell for sorcerers who want to boost their survivability and avoid getting hit by physical attacks.
- Shield: This spell creates an invisible barrier of magical force that lasts until the start of your next turn. The barrier grants you +5 bonus to AC against that attack and negates the magic missile damage.
- Faerie Fire: This spell creates a colorful burst of light that outlines all creatures in a 12-meter cube. Any creature affected by this spell grants an advantage on attack rolls against it until the spell ends.
- Tasha’s Hideous Laughter: This spell forces one creature within range to make a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone and become incapacitated with laughter for up to one minute.
- Thunderwave: This spell unleashes a wave of thunderous force that pushes away all creatures within a 3-meter cube centered on you and deals 2d8 thunder damage to them (half on a successful constitution saving throw).
Conclusion for Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Level 1 Spells
These are some of the best level 1 spells for each class in Baldur’s Gate 3, but they are not the only ones. There are many other spells that can be useful and fun to use, depending on your playstyle, preferences, and situation. Experiment with different spells and see what works best for you and your party.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article and learned something new about Baldur’s Gate 3 and its spellcasting system. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to share them with me.
ALSO READ: Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Feats